Website tip #13:
Put your website in front of people
Would it be useful to print 1,000 leaflets but then never handing them to anybody? No! What about handing those 1,000 leaflets to people who are not your target customers? No! Those leaflets are only useful in the hands of your potential customers.
Your website is the same: you need to promote it to people. There are a lot of ways of doing that, but I strongly urge you to be ready to sped some money. There are free options out there, but they involve effort that detracts from your ability to run your company. Some things to consider:
- Word of mouth (encouraging your customers to tell other potential customers)
- Referral marketing (paying your customers to bring you new customers)
- Advertising in the media (e.g. newspapers, radio, TV if you can afford it)
- Search engine marketing (e.g. buying ads in Google or Bing)
- Social media marketing (e.g. buying ads in Facebook or Twitter)
- Social media optimisation (using social media tactics to drive traffic to your website)
- Search engine optimisation (optimising your website to make it more appealing to search engines)
Don’t get hung up on just ONE of these approaches: try to spread your marketing budget across multiple channels.